Rechartering on time is critical. It is required for Journey to Excellence. It is required for units to continue registration without interruption. It is required to ensure Scouts are registered, critical for receiving rank advancement and other awards, and for insurance coverage.
A representative of each unit completes the paperwork for renewing a charter online. Through the process, chartered (sponsoring) organizations, youth member and adult leader information is updated as well as registration fees and Boys' Life subscriptions are collected/paid.
Here are some important dates for you to remember:
- September 1st- Units begin to meet again. The committee should designate one adult who will coordinate the charter renewal process. Check out the Charter Renewal Instructions and Checklist for a recommended list of action items.
- October 1st- Charter renewal access becomes available
- December 15th - Charters and fees are due. The following is a list of what needs to be returned to Council. Be sure everything is signed that needs to be signed.
This may help you..
Before beginning internet Re-Chartering, collect all current youth and adult unit member information. Current membership rosters are available for download, by unit Key 3 (or +3) via My.Scouting.org or in this packet. Include new member application forms with the appropriate signatures. New adult members shall also include a copy of their most recent Youth Protection (YP) certificate. All new and renewing Adult members must have completed YP training after December 1, 2018.
If you have members that are registered in more than one unit, they only need to pay their registration fee in one of those units. Determine which unit each member will be paying their registration fee. For example, a Chartered Organization Representative may be a member in the Pack, Troop, and Crew, but only submits payment from one unit. In the remaining units, that person is a “non-paying Multiple”.
If you are new to internet Re-Chartering, you can consult the help and tutorial links on the Council Re-Charter page for step-by-step instructions.
NEW THIS YEAR (2019):
Do not pay for any of your Re-Charter Fees online. The Online Recharter website cannot be adjusted to collect for the shortened 10 months. So, in order for you to not be overcharged – Do Not Pay Online For 2020!
ALL completed Re-Charter paperwork, payments, applications, and YPT certificates are turned in to your District Commissioner or District Executive prior to being submitted to the Council Service Center. Units should not turn in Re-Charter documents at the Council Office. To set up a time to meet your District Executive or District Commissioner:
- REMINDER: You can begin Online Re-Charter beginning October 1st
- To begin, chose FIRST TIME USER. Everyone is a First Time User every year to begin.
- Enter your Access Code.
- You must agree to the Confidentiality Statement to continue.
- Register and create a password. Write down your password.
STAGE ONE: LOAD ROSTER
- You load your roster from the Council information
STAGE 2: UPDATE ROSTER
- STEP 1 - Review Chartered Organization info. Update if needed.
- STEP 2 – All members are selected for Renewal. Deselect those members who are no longer active with the unit. Non-paid members, IE: Lion or Tiger Parents, Institution Head- should be automatically selected. Merit Badge counselors are not unit positions and cannot be entered via Unit Re-charter.
- If a Tiger Adult parent or Lion Adult Partner is moved to a position with unit I.E. the Cubmaster, the committee chair (anything other than Lion adult partner or Tiger adult partner) a new BSA application with YPT and Authorization Disclosure form must be included.
- STEP 3
- Add new adults. You will need a paper application and proof of Y01 Youth Protection Training included with application.
- Add new Scouts. You will need a paper application or online application.
- STEP 5 - Update or make corrections to birthdate, address, city, state, zip, phone and/or email for each renewing member.
- STEP 6 - Update Unit Positions. Be sure to change Cub Leaders to Webelos Leaders, change comm member to Asst Scoutmaster, etc., if needed.
STAGE 3: CHECK ROSTER:
- VALIDATE YOUR ROSTER
- FIX ANY ERRORS – Click on the red error message to fix.
- RE-VALIDATE submissions
STAGE 4: SUMMARY
- You will also be given the opportunity at stage 4 to mark each person for Boys’ Life subscriptions. If all youth in your unit will be purchasing a Boys’ Life subscription, then you can verify at this stage that you qualify for the 100% Boys Life Award.
- You will be given the opportunity, at this stage of the process to mark those in your unit who have paid their registration fee somewhere else in the council and are also active in your unit. Many times this may include your chartered organization representative, if your chartered organization has more than one unit (both a troop and a crew or a pack and a troop) or may be a parent in your unit that is also active in another unit (has a son in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts – parent is active on both committees). Long-time Scouters in your unit may also qualify because they are active at the council or district level and pay their registration directly. We call these registrations “multiples.” A multiple registration has no cost for registration to the unit which marks that person multiple – but please be sure everyone has ONE primary paid registration.
- Please be aware that the ONLY required position which can be multiple within the same unit is the Charter Rep (CR) – the Charter Rep may also be [multiple] registered as Committee Chair or a Member of the Committee. Institutional Head [IH], Tiger Cub Partner [AP], and Lion Cub Partner [LP] are no-fee registrations. A person registering as IH or AP/LP may also be registered in another fee required position. ONLY the CR may be registered in another fee position within the same unit.
Minimum Positions Needed for Unit Recharter:
- Institutional Head (this is a NO FEE registration)
- Chartered Organization Representative (may also be registered as either Committee Chair or Committee Member)
- Committee Chair
Cub Scout Pack Boy Scout Troop/Venture Crew/Sea Scout Ship
Committee Member (2) Committee Member (2)
or Committee Member (1) AND Pack Trainer or or Committee Member (1) AND Parent Coordinator
New Member Coordinator Scoutmaster / Venture Crew Advisor/Sea Scout Skipper
Den leader OR Webelos den leader OR Tiger Cub den leader
Persons holding NO FEE registrations (such as Institutional Head or Tiger/Lion Cub Adult Partner) *may* also hold a paying position listed above.
- If filing electronically, APPROVE the roster with an electronic signature. We prefer you choose to use electronic signatures.
- If the person entering the charter has the permission from the IH and/or the CR to add their digital signature, there will be a drop down box to select their name and click on approve.
- If the person completing the charter does not have the permissions, the IH/CR will receive an email, requesting approval. The approver must have a valid email address for this to work. IF not, leave blank and go to the next page.
- Choose payment method = Cash/Council Office. As stated above – DO NOT PAY ONLINE - YOU WILL BE OVERCHARGED!
STAGE 5: SUBMIT ROSTER
- Save or print a copy of your 2020 Re-Charter roster, for your unit records. This is just a draft copy at this point. Not the final roster.
- SUBMIT WHEN ALL CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE. AFTER YOU SUBMIT, NO MORE CHANGES CAN BE MADE BY THE UNIT.
- A confirmation window will appear, click OK to confirm submittal.
- A survey is offered, this is optional. Please take time to provide feedback, if you want the help improve the process. Or, you can click SAVE to continue and skip the survey.
- Print out the FINAL Re-Charter paperwork. A page appears with print options. Print the Charter Renewal Application and the Annual Charter Agreement.
- Collect signatures on the Charter - if not signed electronically
- Collect signature on Annual Charter Agreement.
STAGE 6: Submit to Council
- Use the included Re-Charter Check Sheet to ensure that all items are complete.
- Use the included Charter Renewal Fee Worksheet to calculate your Unit Re-Charter payment.
- Contact your Unit Treasurer for a check to pay your fees.
- Contact your DE or District Commissioner (Contact info listed on the first page) to arrange a time/location to turn in your 2020 Charter. Be sure to include:
- Recharter Fee Worksheet
- Signed Checklist
- Signed Annual Charter Agreement
- Signed Charter Renewal
- Local Council copy of BSA Youth Application for any new youth
- Local Council copy of BSA Adult Application including a signed Criminal Background Check Authorization form for each new adult.
- A check for the total Re-Charter Fees made payable to Twin Rivers Council
THINGS THAT MAY CAUSE DELAY:
- Missing signatures on Charter papers and applications
- Incorrect or missing information on applications – including 1 reference and questions answered
- Incorrect Funds – Please use the Re-Charter Fee Worksheet
- No Youth Protection Training Certificates for new leaders or those who need to renew their YPT - Be sure that all registered adults have their Youth Protection Training up to date. This training is mandatory and expires after 2 years. An adult will not be registered if it has expired. You will find a “Y” or “N” on the roster under the heading“Gender” then under “YPT”. However, this does not tell you when it is due to expire.
- CBC Form not included or not signed
- Social Security Numbers - This is required on all new adult applications. It is necessary to be able to do a background check. Without it, the adult application cannot be processed.
- Adult Leaders - Leaders cannot be registered in two positions within the same unit EXCEPT for the Chartered Organizaton Representative. Refer to the page titled “Program Requirements and Qualifications: for positions. This will help you to be sure you are filling all the necessary positions for your unit.
Please contact your District Executive or District Commissioner if you have any questions, or need assistance. They have gone through this process many times and can answer all of your questions.